TEACHING-EMPOWERING-MENTORING-BUILDING OPPORTUNITY Mission: to partner with individuals and communities in Western Kenya to support entrepreneurial activities, education and health through training programmes, scholarships, water and sanitation projects

Friday, March 5, 2010

Limuru

The last week of February I travelled to Limuru just outside Nairobi for the first ever meeting of all diocesan Education Secretaries. I received a crash course in church history in Kenya and met some very impressive people including the Archbishop whose picture you see here (in shirt and tie). I was also able to do a very quick presentation of Virtues. This is the kind of programme people are looking for to strengthen relationships in schools, parishes and communities. We may hear more from the other dioceses after they have had some time back in their offices. I returned to Kakamega armed with a list of tasks for me and for the diocese.

I briefed the Bishop on my return and we settled some first steps for implementation for our schools and the whole education structure in Maseno North. Yesterday I met with the Diocesan Board of Education who are very happy with our proposals. We have to collect a lot of basic data which we will put on computer for the first time. An assistant priest in Kakamega has been given the task of collection and sending information to me while I am in Canada.

We drove to Nairobi because while I was in the conference Rod wanted to take the opportunity of visiting a tree nursery and farming project also in Limuru. This will be for the next stage of our Rotary grant in Emmaloba. We are hoping to be able to start a nursery of indigenous trees including the species of acacia that is commonly known as the 'fertiliser tree'. This tree drops its leaves in the rains (at planting time) and provides a nitrogen boost to the soil eventually eliminating the need for fertiliser. Crop yields are said to increase by 200%. Well worth looking into.

No comments:

Post a Comment